Friday, November 6, 2015

Fat is Fun!

So I finally got myself a "fat" bike this past summer, and I'm anxiously waiting for it to snow to try it out in that environment.

The bike is a Motobecane FB5 3.0 which can be bought on-line from the bikesdirect.com website. There is some assembly required when the bike arrives, but nothing too serious. This model cost $900 and it was a great deal. 

Recently I decided that 4.25" wide tires wasn't big enough, and purchased some 4.8" tires to put on the bike.

These are the Vee Snowshoe XL tires. They are listed as 4.8", but mounted up on my 90mm rims they are measuring in at 4.5". I'm keeping them inflated to 20 psi overnight though so they may still grow a little when the casing stretches. Did a quick spin around the yard and the road in front of the house after getting them mounted, and they seemed to roll pretty good with no self-steer (though I don't think any tire has that problem at 20 psi). I'll find out tomorrow morning how the handle at typical trail riding pressures (7-10 psi).


No comments:

Post a Comment